Teaching Yoga to Veterans: Yoga Teacher Certification
October 4 @ 6:00 pm - October 6 @ 3:00 pm
Make a difference in the lives of veterans in your community.
FREE Yoga for Veterans Certification Training for Yoga Teachers
with Nancy Garnhart, MS, IAYT, E-RYT500
This weekend-long, hands-on, comprehensive workshop is the first step on the path to being a FREE Yoga for Veterans certified instructor. This training is like no other, as it equips attendees with the practical skills necessary to provide yoga for this specific population, the skills needed to get a class started, and the level of confidence it takes to make it all happen.
FREE Yoga for Veterans is based on an empirically-informed, clinically-tested program called Mindful Yoga Therapy (MYT). MYT is designed as a stand-alone 12 week program. FREE Yoga for Veterans has adapted this program for use in long-term, ongoing drop-in classes for veterans in our community.
In this training, we will focus on six tools that veterans can use to cope with the effects of living with trauma and post-traumatic stress – and to live more resilient and joyful lives: Pranayama (breathing), Asana (postures connected with breath), Yoga Nidra, Meditation, Gratitude, and Peer Support.
This program covers:
- How yoga helps veterans
- The six tools: Asana, Pranayama, Yoga Nidra, Meditation, Gratitude, and Peer Support
- Special considerations and specific techniques for working with veterans
- Special considerations for working with sub-populations within the veteran community
- Appropriateness and variations of asana
- Understanding veteran culture
- How to start bringing FREE Yoga for Veterans into your community
- FREE Yoga for Veterans class protocol for use in ongoing classes
Friday, October 4 @6pm-9pm
Saturday, October 5 @10am-5pm
Sunday, October 6 @10am-3pm
$375 for the weekend
Take the first step in becoming a true leader who makes a difference in the lives of veterans in your community.
*all fees are non-refundable*
FREE Yoga for Veterans Certification Process
From start to finish, each step in the certification process is deliberate in building a strong foundation to become the FREE Yoga for Veterans instructor you desire to be.
The first step is to take the weekend-long workshop. During this workshop you will build a foundation for earning your certification, serving your future students and building a class.
There is only one additional required fee beyond the cost of the training:
Annual membership to FREE Yoga for Veterans of $75 for your first year and $50 per year after that. As long as your membership is active, it includes a listing on the FREE Yoga for Veterans website, the support of the FREE Yoga for Veterans Team, and unlimited free attendance at any future training course you’ve already completed.
The entire fee associated with becoming a certified FREE Yoga for Veterans is $450.
On the day of the training
Arrive ready to learn – about yourself, about veterans, yoga, reaching out to the veteran community, and finding a space and/or funding for your class. You’ll be inspired, you’ll connect with the attendees around you, and you’ll take a huge step in learning what it means to support those who have served. By signing your Membership Agreement and paying your annual dues, you will be entitled to all of the privileges and benefits of a FREE Yoga for Veterans Professional Association member.
After the Training
You will receive your certification packet via email. You will be given specific research to do as well as a comprehensive open-book test.
Upon receiving your completed certification packet, we will schedule an in-person or online video conference interview. You will be granted certification or receive additional tasks to be sure that you have met the standards set forth by FREE Yoga for Veterans Professional Association.
Requirements for Certification
Certificate of Attendance for FREE Yoga for Veterans Yoga Teacher Certification Training
Get started helping veterans in your community.
Dive in with our weekend-long certification trainng.
Be a member in good standing of FREE Yoga for Veterans Professional Association
Membership in FREE Yoga for Veterans Professional Association (FYFVPA) is a requirement when taking any of our workshops or trainings and it is a requirement in order to keep your certification(s) valid.
Membership has its rewards!
- All active members are welcome to retake any workshop they have successfully completed as often as they like free of charge
- You will have your own listing on freeyogaforveterans.org web
- The FREE Yoga for Veterans team is available to assist you throughout the year
- Invitations to FREE Yoga for Veterans team meetings
- All active members are welcome to observe the ongoing FREE Yoga for Veterans classes at Yoga in ME
Dues are $75 for the first year and $50 per year each year thereafter.
Observe classes taught by certified FYFV instructor(s)
You can choose to observe or participate in yoga classes taught by a certified FREE Yoga for Veterans instructor.
Minimum of 10 classes required.
For each class you participate in or observe, please submit:
- Date of Class
- Name of Instructor
- Location of Class
- One Paragraph (100 – 200 words) with Reflections
Begin teaching as a Pre-Certified FYFV Instructor
Minimum of 10 documented hours required to complete Certification Packet.
Complete Certification Packet
Your Certification Packet will arrive by email.
Complete Certification Packet within 18 months of the workshop. Extensions can be requested in writing when circumstances prevent completion in the allotted time frame.
Certification Packet Requirements
- Provide us with 3 letters of recommendation and indicate 1 author you’ve selected for us to call
- Submit observations FYFV classes you observed or participated in.
- Provide us with 3 Student Evaluations and indicate 1 student you’ve selected for us to interview — you must have worked a minimum of 10 hours with each student
- Read one of our recommended books and write 3 short essays
- Complete the comprehensive, open-book exam
- Complete an interview with our director, Nancy Garnhart, MS, IAYT, ERYT500
- Submit Webpage Content Questionnaire and a photo
- Interview a veteran and submit audio or video recording
Partial Book List
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma by Peter Levine
- Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness: Practices for Safe and Transformative Healing by David A. Treleaven and Willoughby Britton
- Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body by David Emerson , Elizabeth Hopper, et al.
Maintain Standards of Professionalism
As set forth in the Membership Agreement
Maintain current CPR/First Aid certification
Maintain Liability Insurance
Maintain 200 hour or above Yoga Teacher Certification
Yoga Alliance or equivalent
Please Contact Us With Any Questions or Concerns